Cardiac Education Program
Our "free" Cardiac Education Program provides an ongoing series of classes for patients and their families and friends, to give them the opportunity to learn about heart disease, treatment, and prevention. CPR training classes are offered, too.
Our classes are held in the comfortable learning room in the Heart Institute at Stony Brook Medicine. Sample topics include:
- Medication Guidelines: What you need to learn about your cardiac medications.
- Home Exercise Program: Learn how to start a home exercise program.
- Stress Management: Take charge of your cardiac health and learn ways to lessen your risk for heart disease.
- Heart Healthy Nutrition: Learn how to read nutrition labels and make healthy food choices.
This program is free of charge. Participants will receive validations for parking, and heart-healthy snacks will be served.
Registration is required. Call (631) 444-4000, Monday through Friday, and provide the following: 1) number of people planning to attend, and 2) your name, address, and phone number. Registering at least one (1) week in advance will allow us sufficient time to mail a map to you.
Click here to see the class/topic offerings in the latest series.
Heart Month Events
Stony Brook Medicine is dedicated to the health and well-being of our community. We are pleased to share with you important information that can help keep you healthy.
Throughout February, American Heart Month, Stony Brook supported the American Heart Association's national campaign, "Go Red for Women," and hosted free opportunities for community members to get screened, get educated and get involved in their own heart health. We hope you will join us next February for one or all events, and join in the fight against heart disease.
And should you ever need immediate heart care, you can count on our Heart Institute to deliver world-class medicine, including state-of-the-art minimally invasive surgery, leading-edge interventions, access to clinical trials, and progressive, comprehensive care right here on Long Island.
Click here for schedule of Go Red for Women & Heart Disease 2013 Events.
Stony Brook Heart Institute offers periodic free vascular disease screening tests.
Performed by a vascular technologist during a single visit, the three vascular tests include:
- Carotid ultrasound, to check for clogged carotid arteries in the neck, which can lead to stroke
- Abdominal aortic ultrasound, to test for aortic aneurysms, which can burst if reaching a large size
- Ankle-brachial index, to check for PAD or peripheral artery disease that is often a sign of heart disease
The screening process for all three vascular tests is quick — about 10 minutes for each test — and painless.
As a service to our community, we're now offering these screening tests at no cost.
Our next vascular screening will take place on Saturday, April 6, 2013, from 8 am to 4 pm: click here for details.
Stony Brook Medicine
Nicolls Road and Health Sciences Drive intersection
Stony Brook, NY 11794